Friday, February 27, 2009

why not bike?

I like bikes. I have one that I like a lot, and I really like those European cargo bikes I've been seeing around town. I might even get one if I sell my truck.

But lately I've just been a lot more fond of walking. I think it has to do partly with self reliance - beyond just not relying on other people, but more specifically, on anything at all. No matter where I am, or how I got there, I can walk back. I also like the freedom that not having a bike provides. You can go more places on foot, and when you walk, you don't have to worry about finding a place to store your transportation when you stop. Or having it stolen.

Riding a bike is a lot like driving a car too - in that you move a little too fast to really take in your surroundings like you can when you're on foot, and I think that's one of the parts I enjoy about walking the most.